Monday, December 13, 2010

'No ifs, no buts, no education cuts'......

Lunch with Michael Gove, Secretary of State. This covered a number of areas of policy, including the experience of being an academy. The day was dominated by the very adjacent Student Protests about tuition fees. I've stated my concerns about how the increase in such fees will disproportionately affect children from inner area communities. This could have a significant effect upon social mobility as well as individual life chances. As I left the Department to return to St.James Underground station I met a large group of peaceful young protestors making their way down Tothill Street. The 'No ifs, no buts, no education cuts' was sung with gusto, but it was the young lad at the back with the banner - I'm only here to get out of PE' - which caught my eye. 

No comments: