Wednesday, April 27, 2011

My NAHT Presidential Year comes to a close.

I wanted to take the opportunity to record a few words in my last few days as President.

I'd like to thank the Northern Ireland committee and Colm and Michael in particular for a wonderful couple of days at the last National Executive in Belfast.

Well it all started with Children singing in Liverpool and I was delighted with a standing ovation for the presidential speech -  the entrance to the gala evening will last long in my, and my family's, memory.

Any President will tell you that it is their aim is to leave the association in a better place than where they began - our members rightly demand nothing less. In Kenya there is a term used by a previous President, Daniel Arap Moi - 'Nyayo' which means leaving footprints in life. 

One or two shared footprints from 2010/2011:

Firstly, the Bedouin tent has of necessity, with the refurbishment of the former Bonnington Hotel, meant the National Executive seeing other parts of the Country this year, but I believe that places like Bath and Belfast have shown we can at times conduct our business outside of London very successfully as a national association. A balance in someway with a revitalized Bonnington or Hilton Doubletree as it will be known, would be good.  

We had a positive changeover of General Secretary without the pain and dislocation that could have occurred. We also have indisputably the right General Secretary, and we have had an excellent working relationship.

A restructuring of HQ is well advanced to place us in a position to meet the needs and aspirations of our members. We must now ensure that this promise is fulfilled. 
I appreciate the considerable effort of many staff to make high quality provision for Member's needs.
 
We have had a new Government with an electoral mandate. In meeting with Ministers it is clear that they now take the Association as a serious organization with gravitas and they are in a better position to consider education policy if they talk with us first as recent progress has demonstrated. Fewer u turns will then be necessary. We need the 'Freedom to flourish'.

This blog illustrates just some of the engagement such as speeches, articles and discussions which I've been able to have with Branches, Regions, other school leader organizations, government, media, and individual members. This is frankly a punishing schedule throughout the year.         

I have been particularly pleased, following the lengthy and ultimately fruitless efforts of a working party of council in a previous year, to lead a task and finish group - and I pay tribute to that group - which has led to the new method of National Executive working including the introduction of a new committee structure and in particular the information session which ensures all executive members leave here richer and better able to perform your roles in the districts branches regions and sectors. These excellent foundations are now ready to be further built upon.

At times I frankly admit I could have had a much quieter life at one or two points and go through the motions, but that is not me and I have always tried to work by principle and as custodian of the naht best interests. This has required on occasion telling individuals to wake up and smell the coffee. This has been done carefully, often behind the scenes, and invariably taken with good grace. 

I think our debate and engagement in the National Executive this year has been rigorous, but in good humour and should command the respect of our members for these efforts and expertise and that of our HQ staff in developing and carrying out association policy always with the best interests of members at heart. There is no better voice when a member feels the world is caving in, or they just need support to do their job that little bit better, than the NAHT.

We have challenges such as developing the use of video conferencing which is so much better than teleconferencing and could enable colleagues to effectively engage at a lower cost in the range of smaller meetings we have.

I have met some great colleagues and characters around the Country from Northumberland to Ian Bruce in Cornwall, from Tom Thompson on the Isle of Man to John Deare on the Isle of Wight, and Windermere to the indefatigable Barbara Letchford in Kent, and a sane view in the New Forest from David Mewes. Many of these with National Executive colleagues quietly ensure the NAHT challenges the unfair, the uninspiring and unacceptable which causes so much anxiety and sleepless nights for school leaders who are simply doing their very best for the next generation.      

I intend to undertake the role of Immediate Past President and support Chris and Steve, but I am also looking to restore and develop my family life. In July, Veronicah is having twins and has just been successful in gaining a place on a PGCE course. I am looking forward to returning as Headteacher of Goddard Park in Swindon and working with the whole school community again. This will be my 25th year as a Head - a brilliant job - and 20 years in Goddard Park with my fabulous team and children. 

I would like to thank my wife, Veronicah, and my daughters Zoe and Sally, my grandchildren and many friends for their support this year.  My little James: the innocence and unconditional love of this little boy is the light of my life.

I would like to thank you for your kindness and support in this most unique year in my life. 
I am, and will always remain, so proud to have been National President of the NAHT. 

Thank you. 

The blog continues.......

No comments: